Easter at the Lake

We drove down to the lake on Sunday so the kids could get some fishing in on spring break.  I didn’t really think that they would catch anything and by the end of Sunday I was convinced of it.  We tried Minnows, night crawlers, hot dogs, tuna fish and half a dozen lures.  We didn’t get so much as a bite on Sunday and never even saw a fish swimming under the dock.  The kids were having fun anyway, and we did some nature walks, etc.

Monday morning we were back at it.  Per usual, a racoon emptied our minnow bucket overnight (you would think I would have remembered to bring it inside).  The weather was perfect, and the kids weren’t about to give up until they caught a fish.  Jack decided that the weather was so nice he would go swimming.  The freezing water didn’t seem to affect him and after much coaxing, we got him to swim to shore.

After lunch, Justin and Danielle decided to take one last try at fishing.  They were still having no luck when Danielle asked if she could put her feet in the water.  I decided – what the heck.  So she took off her shoes, put her feet in the water and cast out her line with the night crawler on it.  BAMM, she had a hit and pulled out the first fish of the weekend.  She screamed, “Justin, Justin, you need to put your stinky feet in the water.”


So of course Justin took his shoes off, dangled his feet in the water and BAMM, he pulled one out as well


I’m not sure if it was the stinky feet, the warm weather, or what, but Justin started pulling out fish left and right. 

One bluegill damaged a worm, but didn’t get all of it, so Justin decided to use the same worm.  He barely had the line in the water when he called out, “DAD, I have a whopper!”    His line shot under the deck, but he eventually realled in a monster of a Large Mouth Bass.  I held it in the water while he ran up to the house to get Brenda.  She shot some video of it and got a still picture, but I forgot to get a phone picture (although I shot one after the fact off of the TV). 


This thing had to be 3 inches wide and long enough that it stretched from Justin’s right shoulder past his left shoulder.  My guess is that it weighed 4 to 6 pounds (it sure felt heavy when I was holding it up for pictures).   Justin ended up catching three or four more fish off that same worm. 

I said, “That must be a tasty worm.”  Jack heard me and jumped into the lake after it.  And of course Justin caught another fish off that worm after Jack jumped in.  Jack’s little swim was about the time we were planning to leave, so I wasn’t very happy at the prospect of a smelly wet dog for two hours in the van.  Thankfully between the sun and the beach towel, he was mostly dry by the time we left.