I had the following IM conversation with Brother Mike this morning –
- Jim : I think there is something wrong with the random number generator on my iPod
- Jim : it played about 5 Smithereen songs this morning
- Jim : out of about 8 songs
- Mike: what are the odds
- Jim : please hold…
- Jim : about 1 in 916636176
- Mike: seems possible enough
- Jim : one in 91 million?
- Jim : actually I think it is a Unique Random Number generator
- Jim : in which case it makes more sense
- Jim : it won’t repeat a song until it has played all of them
- Jim : and it didn’t play any Smithereens yesterday
- Jim : only a geek like me would know or care about that though
It has continued to play a lot of Smithereens today, especially considering I only have one Smithereens album on it. And I’m not sure it is using a unique random number generator, since I am starting to hear repeats, but doubt I have listened to all 174 songs — Actually I’m sure of at least one song it hasn’t played yet.
Update: I think the iPod is just in a Smithereens kind of mood — it has played almost the whole album – Green Thoughts – today.