The Intellectually-Void Cynthia Davis is now promoting “English as the official language” of Missouri.
It is with the intent of preserving this unified culture that we hope this year to establish English as the official language of our state. The legislation we are considering would make English the language for all official proceedings in
. This would mean that for the government to act officially, it would have to communicate in English. It would also mean the language of record is the English language, and that no one has a right to demand government services in any other language. Missouri
I have a handful of issues with the whole “English as the official language” political hot potato:
- This is another one of those issues like immigration*, gay marriage**, and late term abortions*** whose sole purpose is to get people fired up for no reason. Most people who immigrate the the US want to fit in, so they try very hard to learn the local language. Their children most certainly do. Don’t believe me? Go eat at one of the Italian restaurants on the Hill sometime. The older people working the kitchen, and Momma are all speaking Italian, but the younger generation speaks mostly english.
- English isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon. Although it wouldn’t hurt you to learn a second language, if you stay in the U.S. you will be able to get through your life without having to learn Spanish, Arabic, or Chinese.
- English is a mish-mash language. There aren’t many (any?) pure English words. When we find a word in another language we like, we use it.
- If you were travelling to Mexico or France, and ran into an issue with the government, wouldn’t you hope that you could at least understand what was going on. I realize that there is a serious cost involved in having EVERYTHING in EVERY possible language, but having common documents in common languages seems reasonable.
- It reeks of nationalism. It’s another case of thumbing our noses (origin unknown) at the international community. Can’t we learn to play nice with our neighbors
On the plus side, if we make English the official language, we can no longer use the name Cynthia Davis in official state documents –
The girl’s name Cynthia \cy(n)-thia\ is pronounced SIN-thee-ah. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is “from Mount Kynthos“. Mythology: Kynthia was one of the names of Artemis, the goddess of the moon, referring to her birthplace on Mount Kynthos. Cynthia was later used by the Roman poet Propertius in his love poetry.
* The immigration rates did not spike to enflame this issue – the Republicans just needed an issue to excite their base.
** Really, if you are straight, why do you care? How does it affect you? This is just a case of our base hates/fears (blacks/gays/muslims/athiests), lets exploit that
*** THEY DON’T HAPPEN except in the case of medical emergencies. Seriously, look at the statistics. It’s a non issue. Who would deal with 6 to 9 months of pregnancy and THEN decide on an abortion?